My name is Ashley Ravid and I am a Professional Educational Therapist (ET/P) working with students in private practice located in the heart of Sherman Oaks, California. I knew from an early age I wanted to work with children who learned differently. I felt connected with them because I was a child who struggled with a reading challenges. While I could read the words successfully, I struggled with comprehending the text. I spent countless hours frustrated until I was able to figure out strategies that were helpful for me that could benefit others with similar challenges. I have been working as a Behaviorist and Educational Therapist since 2004, teaching at various schools, film sets, and national tours, accompanying families with children while integrating academics and cultural development. In 2005, I received my Bachelor's degree in Child and Adolescent Development and was the recipient of the Professional Promise Award from California State University, Northridge. In 2008, I received my Masters Degree in Special Education with Distinction, concentrating in Educational Therapy.
My approach to learning is simple: treat students with respect, involve them in their learning, and make learning fun! During each session, your child will be taught important strategiesusing all three learning styles; visual, auditory and kinesthetic. Very rarely do we start and conclude each session with paper pencil tasks. Students learn best when they are taught to their strengths and become actively involved in their personalized education plan. I firmly believe in the “lets try it and see if it works” approach such as "hopscotch multiplication" and "find the phoneme hide and seek." Teaching is presented in an organized, structured, and sequenced approach.
I fundamentally believe that all students are motivated and want to learn; I have yet to meet a student who challenges this belief. Students begin to lose interest and motivation in their schooling when the way in which they have been taught is not a match for how they learn best. After being faced with repeated failure, it is difficult to instill the desire to want to participate in their academic success after they have internalized that they are “stupid,” taking a toll on their emotional and educational success.
Educational therapy allows students to thrive by introducing individualized therapeutic approaches to foster success, build self-esteem and mastery. All sessions are 1-1, so each student gets explicit instruction in a fun, engaging and positive environment. My approach allows students to have repeated exposure to specific skills in a "teamwork" relationship. Whatever area your child is struggling with can be remediated with educational therapy approaches.
Our sessions may focus on:
• Mindfulness & Mindset
• Reading processes such as learning how to read (letter sounds, sight word recognition, etc.)
• Reading comprehension strategies (being an “active reader” including sticky notes and highlighting strategies)
• Emotional readiness when beginning new subjects
• Reading fluently and with meaning/understanding (prosody and intonation)
• Writing structures (at the word, sentence, paragraph and/or essay format)
• Organization (sequencing of daily events, school materials, their backpack, time management, executive functioning).
• Math concepts (1-1 correspondence, sequence counting, addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, etc.)
• Regulating attention and focus (use of personal charts, incentives and awareness when the student is going off task)
• Provide helpful individualized checklists to help the student become independently successful
• Incorporate effective homework and study habits
• Implement incentives for goal-directed behavior
• Helping to establishing the clients personal goals
• Advocacy skills
The Association of Educational Therapists
The Learning Disabilities Association
The International Dyslexia Association
Ashley Ravid Group- Educational Therapy & Academic Tutoring
Los Angeles and San Diego, California
Ashley Ravid Group - Educational Therapy © 2013